Final Product: Honeyed Summer Cantaloupe
Honeyed Summer Cantaloupe
This evening, right on schedule (7 days melding), I finished making the Honeyed Summer Cantaloupe. All it took was straining the bulk of the fruit, letting the liquid drain off without any additional pressing. I did hem and haw about which container to put it in for storage, but ended up deciding on an old Stoli bottle (1.75 L). Little big for the job, but it seemed annoying to do 1 full screw-cap wine bottle (750 mL) plus a partially filled second. I have a few more of these old bottles, and they want to be filled.
I don’t know that I am fond of the smell, in all honesty. But then, cantaloupe is not my favorite melon, either. It isn’t offensive, just not pleasurable in the way the Rose Raspberry of Lemon Drop were, and nowhere near the pleasant smoothness (in smell or taste) of past years’ spiced apple liqueur. We’ll just have to see about the flavor later, as I’m going to give it a day or two off the fruit before sampling.
Cucumber Mint Liqueur
Mint, With a Healthy Does of Cucumber
Finishing with that, I then began on another recipe from the same book. I had originally thought to nearly double the recipe (to end up fitting a 1.75L bottle), but was short on Vermouth. So, I relented and went with the recipe as is. Still was a little short on Vermouth!
The book called for 1.5 cups of 80-100 proof vodka mixed with 1.5 cups of Vermouth (18% ABV). I used an unremarkable vodka sitting in the pantry (80 proof, or 40% ABV), and an extra dry Vermouth. Turned out I had just under the expected amount of Vermouth, so I’ll be needing a new bottle.
My birthday is almost here [hint, hint…]
On a serious note, I just increased the amount of vodka to make a total of 3 cups of liquid. And I’m fully capable of purchasing Vermouth, if the need arises. Which it could.
To that I added one large (I mean really large) cucumber, grated. The recipe had called for 2 medium cucumbers, grated. I also added a half cup of chopped (apple) mint from the front garden, per the recipe, and the zest of 1 lemon (also per the recipe).
Then I mixed this all together, sealed the top and set in a cool, dark place. Give that a couple days, adding some simple syrup, and we’ll see what we’ve got.
Need to get a ginger bug back operational. Been out of the regular ginger ale swing. Technically, that’s fermentation. And I did say this was a non-fermentation post. Ah, well. I have more lemons, so another Lemon Drop attempt could be possible – especially since the previous one was so well received by friends. A limecello is probably in order as well, before the purchased limes give up the ghost.
Oh, and it is high time for making some more fig leaf liqueur. I’m considering Everclear, as I have already tried it with both gin and vodka. Just for comparison, of course. the figs themselves aren’t quite ready for anything. But the tree can pass me a couple of leaves without too much harm.