May 5, 2013: Strawberry Success

Well, though I had to stay up quite late to wait for the sanitize cycle to complete, I was finally able to get the strawberries on the boil and then canned. End total is 5 8oz jars, 2 pint jars and a not-quite-full 4 oz jar. It’s a little thin, but that probably means the pectin was a little short for the volume – seeing as I ended up with way more than the expected 64oz of end-product. Ended up with more like 75…

I noticed, once the canning was done and the jars sitting on the counter, that one of my lids said, “Used”. I have purposely marked lids once used so that I don’t reuse them. I even checked, but apparently not well enough. So that one was stuck in the refrigerator to be used; about twenty minutes later I pulled it out, popped the seal and had a delicious piece of toast. The stuff is quite sweet!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s