Quadruple Bottling

It’s been a while, but things are still just proceeding as they have been. The braggots are still bubbling, the blueberries… still bubbling. The muscadine, still bubbling, and the plum – well, not bubbling, but still clearing the remaining haziness.

Only thing worth noting is that the quadruple is… not bubbling! Which means time to bottle! Thus, after work, I began the process of washing enough bottles for the roughly 6G batch: about 60 12 oz bottles. I sanitized them and placed them in the drying rack.

Near the end of this drying cycle, I began setting up for bottling. The recipe calls for 2 lbs of D-180 (dark Belgian candi syrup), and I realized too late that I only had one. Rather than try to make up more syrup from something else, I’m just going to go with the one. I poured it into the bottom of my sanitized bottling bucket.

I then proceeded to rack the quadruple onto the syrup. First, I took an SG reading (1.015), following that with a visual inspection of the quadruple itself. It is a red brown, and actually somewhat transparent. The smell is good. Nothing amiss. I started the racking, and finished without being too aggressive with the remnants. Any red brown is now hidden in a deep and dark black from the candi sugar, of course. I imagine it would be even darker if I had used the full amount.

The recipe also calls for bottle priming, and I had a yeast packet in the refrigerator just for this occasion. A packet of Muntons Active Brewing Yeast (6 grams worth) should do the trick. The directions call for rehydrating in 38-40C water for 15 minutes. My wife just the other day used the remainder of my purified water, so rather than wait for cooled boiled water, I elected to place the yeast in the fermentation bucket. Not optimal – hopefully I don’t shock the yeast too badly with all the newly available sugar – but I think it will be harmless enough.

About 15 minutes later, I mixed in the yeast, stirring up the candi sugar at the bottom of the bucket. I tried not to do it too vigorously, so as not to introduce lots of oxygen into the mix – that would be unfortunate. And with the mix done, I was ready to bottle.

An hour and more later, I have 63 bottles (57 12 oz. and 6 11.2 oz. bottles) of quadruple. Recipe says to cellar for  six months. Can’t help but wear a bit of a frown at that, but I understand the need. Just glad it finally finished fermenting! The recipe originally expected a 12 week fermentation…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s