It was a busy June, with Kim going to Kenya. And it was an even busier July, with travel to Florida (twice) and North Carolina to allow family to vacation while I still worked. But we are finally back. We still have to pick my car back up from where we left it in North Carolina. But back in South Carolina, the Gingered Ale was ready to bottle!
So, after a great workout at Kuk Sool Won of Clemson, I finished washing and sanitizing the bottles necessary. A five gallon batch, so I washed 60…just for safe measure. On many occasions, I’ve gone over the standard 50 bottles needed for 5 gallons. That was not exactly necessary this time, though.
Before racking to the bottling bucket, I took two actions. The first was to measure specific gravity, which came to 1.014. That was the bottom-end of the recipe, so excellent! With the starting gravity at 1.054, that gives an ale with a 5.25% ABV. The second was to prepare the priming solution. I added a pint of water to a pan on the stove and brought it nearly to boil. I then added the 1 1/4 cups of dried malt extract, and brought it to a rolling boil and held it there, stirring, to ensure it didn’t burn or foam over. I tossed this into the bottling bucket and I was ready to go!
I racked the ale from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, and then carefully stirred to make sure the sugars were incorporated without much oxygen. My five gallon batch, at that point, was clearly only a little over 4.5 gallons. I dealt with the reality and began setting up bottles. But in the end, it wasn’t too bad: 49 12 ounce bottles. Capped, and now labeled, these should be ready somewhere around August 19th…