Using The Ginger Bug

Today was the day to start making use of the ginger bugs I’ve created. The “wild” ferment is not yet bubbling visibly, so I’m going to give it more time to build strength before using. The other two were ready to go!

I may try some teas or other “soda” types of beverages in the future, but for now, it is ginger beer/ale I am interested in. With that in mind, I washed up two plastic juice containers (previously emptied) and added a liter and a half of distilled water to each. To each I added the juice of one half of a lime and one half of a lemon. I added 1/2 cup of white sugar to each, as well. I cut up a 5-6″ piece of ginger and split it between the two bottles.

Such was the prep work. To one of the bottles I added about a half cup of the strained liquid from the bread-yeast ginger beer. The other received a half cup of the Pasteur Champagne yeast ginger bug. I tightened the lids down and shook to mix things together. Now all that is left to do is wait!

I guess there was a little bit more, though. To replenish the bugs, I added 2 tbsp. of honey, 2 tbsp. chopped ginger and 2 tbsp. of water to each of the ginger bugs that were used for ginger beer.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s