Today, I finished the Lemon Drop (lemoncello).
Much as with the Rose Raspberry liqueur, I had mistakenly ignored the original proofing of the Everclear. So, using the same measurements as for the Rose Raspberry, after straining off the lemon zest, I added 12 ounces of water, and then mixed in the 1 cup of simple syrup (still 1:1). Once it was all mixed, I put it in the freezer for later.
It was quite interesting to see actually. The Lemon Drop starter was a solid and earthy yellow, not unlike a solution of saffron and water. It was crystalline clear, even after the addition of water. The simple syrup, too, was quite clear, though not exactly crystalline. But the addition of the simple syrup to the base was an instant shift to opaqueness, with color shifting from earthy yellow to a lemonade yellow – white-ish, thick…just begging to be tasted.
ater is now. And I must say that the flavor is delightful. The mixed up proportions have not affected the enjoyability of this one, in the slightest. Kim liked it, but prefers the Rose Raspberry. Fine by me!
With Rose Raspberry and Lemon Drop out of the way, and a cantaloupe begging to be cut open, I started on a Honeyed Summer Cantaloupe. Using the same book, but with a considerable amount of adjustment this time, I started by chopping up half a cantaloupe. This came to just about 4 cups. I then poured about a cup of a North Carolina honey into my vessel.
This time, I had purchased Everclear at 151 proof (about 75% ABV), and using the calculator, tested proportions of water and Everclear to reach somewhere in the 80-100 proof range. I came to stop on 400 mL of Everclear and 350 mL of water, for a total of approximately 750mL of liquor (the equation is not exactly linear). This would result in a 91 proof liquid.
All that done, I measured in my water and Everclear on top of the honey, the juice of two lemons, and then transferred the cantaloupe pieces. I crushed all this with a spoon inside my big mason jar, and then was finished. Now we wait for about seven days.